The last time we wrote about Bill Ackman, who, among other things, clashed hard with another investment giant, Carl Icahn, and we will focus on that magician in an article today.
10 points you need to know about Ackman
- Carl Icahn was born in 1936 and he is ethnically Jewish.
- Icahn studied philosophy at Princeton University. It is also interesting that he attended, but did not complete, medical studies in New York.
- Soon after he became a stockbroker and then a manager in an investment company.
- However, his rich career began in 1968, when he founded a Icahn & Co. that have traded in arbitrage and options.
- During the following years, under his management, there were very interesting deals in the purchase and sale of the company on the stock exchange, which earned him profits in the tens of millions of dollars.
- Thanks to a specific style for his business goals, which is called “asset stripping”, he gained a reputation on the market as the so-called raider.
- In the following years, his investment appetite certainly did not decrease, so the companies in his portfolio included such well-known names as Pam Am, Marvel Comics, Netflix, Apple, or Herbalife.
- The last mentioned company was the subject of a clash of the titans between him and Bill Ackman. The winner was Icahn in the end.
- Icahn was also for some time an independent „special adviser“ to President D. Trump. He is a philanthropist and founder of the Children’s Rescue Fund.
- Carl Icahn ‘s net worth in 2021 was $ 17.4 billion, according to Forbes.
3 quotes of Icahn
„When most investors, including the pros, all agree on something, they’re usually wrong.“
” When nobody wants something, that creates an opportunity.“
” In life and business, there are two cardinal sins. The first is to act precipitously without thought and the second is to not act at all.“